Thursday, May 14, 2009

Considering African American and American Culture

From the text I was able to pick out a few o the sociological theories that relate to the black family life. One of the main ones that really caught my attention was the large amounts of poverty in the black communities and the lack of having a stable family life. There are large amounts of single parenting done by black women, who live under government assistance.I think the reason for this occurrence is that there is the lack of both parents to provide for the family financially. This causes for single mothers to rely on government help, while not being to find or keep a steady job.

Another point that I would like to focus on is the negative views other races have towards the black family life. An outsider looking in has ideas that all blacks live in poverty and on welfare and often have to deal with constant crime. Every aspect is negative, but society has to realize that people are often born into poverty and not because they choose to live in it. I also believe that white supremacy also has a great deal of influence on this negativity in the black family life. Women of color continue to mistreated in many ways including their reproductive rights and family planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment